Thursday 12 September 2013

Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo


Description from Goodreads:

The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

--

I've been meaning to read Shadow and  Bone forever. Somehow, I always found an excuse to buy or start another book. Mainly this was because of the huge hype that had surrounded the series. But then after a long break from reading, I had to start with something that many people have liked - just to get my motivation right again.  And oh yes, wasn't the book a good choice! Before I went to bed I read maybe 25%, and the first thing I did the next morning was continuing with the book. I ended up reading rest of the book in one sit.

I just simply fell in love with the story and plot like wise. It has been ages I have read young adult book which has been unpredictable for me! Always when I thought I was getting a hang of things, something drastic happened which made me read the paragraph again. Is this really happening?? I love how Bardugo was leading the readers to a false assumptions, and then suddenly pulling the rug under your feet. That is the reason why I read: I'm amazed, surprised, and keep yearning for more.

The Grishas, or the ones who possess magical powers, were so cool move from Bardugo. I fell in love with the hierarchy system in which they are the elite and above all others (even though it isn't really a fair system to the commoners). But it was really interesting as there was a hierarchy system also within the Grisha population. All the tension and politics between different Grisha groups was intriguing to read, and I wished there was more about it in the book. The different magical abilities they possessed were also really fascinating to witness, and I'm hoping we will get to see more of those in the future books.

I really liked Alina's character. Even though she was a physically weak and even little oppressed, she had some spunk in her. She spoke her mind and didn't change her values or opinions to please others or in order to fit in. Alina always stayed true to herself. She was also multidimensional with her strengths and weaknesses, her mistakes and loyalty. I usually need some warming up for the main characters, but I felt like I clicked with Alina immediately - that happens so rarely.

There is a sort of love triangle thing going on as well. I used to love them, but recently I have just read some many of them that I start to get a little sick and tired of them. I suppose the authors are trying to make the plot a little longer by having a third wheel, but sometimes I wish the writers would concentrate on one love interest. Nevertheless! In Shadow and Bone the love triangle worked so well! I think I could even say that this one is one of my favourites as the dynamics between the characters is so strong and constantly changing. At the beginning I was so sure which one Alina would choose, then I changed my opinion, after this I had already picked my team and was confident in it, and then I was unsure again! That's how you write a love triangle!

I can't wait to read Siege and Storm, the book 2. The description sounds so fascinating and I'm so sure the readers are going to witness  some serious drama and action. Ugh, I need to have the book 2 now!!


2 comments:

  1. I recently read this one too. I also loved the maigc Grisha element of the story. I think it's what made me like it so much. I'm not, however, sold on the love interests yet. I've found most people love one of them so I'm hoping he improves in the next book otherwise I just don't understand how people can like him! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recently the YA books that I've read tend to use pretty similar kind of elements, so the Grisha was a nice refreshment as it's pretty unique concept. :) And thank you, I'm glad you liked it! :)

      Delete

You can't see me, but I'm totally doing my happy dance as I read your comment!