Friday 11 April 2014

Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky #2) by Veronica Rossi


Description from Goodreads:

Aria has struggled to build a life for herself outside Reverie. It hasn't been easy adjusting to life in the wilderness but that struggle has been worth it with Perry by her side. 

But Perry has other challenges. His people are looking to him for answers. Answers about what happened to his nephew and what's happening to their world. And they don't trust the priviledged Aria, one of the enemy, in their midst. 

Soon he'll be forced to chose between the tribe that looks to him for leadership and the girl that looks to him for love.

--

The first book, Under the Never Sky, was interesting to read as there were some aspects that I really liked but also things that bugged me as well. But the first book ended on a really intriguing note, so it definitely made me want to read the next instalment. So I decided to pick up Through the Ever Night as I had read quite many reviews saying that the second book is way better than the first one. However, even though I liked Through the Ever Night a lot more, I still can't say that I 100% understand what's the fuss about. 

Roar is absolutely the best thing in the novel. I like his sense of humour, he being an Aud, his sensitive and attentive personality, he being a charmer with his good looks, and his incredible loyalty to Aria and Perry. The scenes in which Roar was, were my favourite ones and I think Roar in general is one of my favourite minor characters ever. Even though we don't really know that much about his past, but his personality and actions speak quite loudly for his cause. And despite the fact that there is undeniable chemistry between Aria and Perry, I was surprised that I started to root for Roar and Aria quite a bit in the novel. Those two have so much more in common and they seem to be so ease with each other, and just in general emit this sense of belonging. Now, some may argue that they are just very good friends, but I just like to think that there is more to it. 

I think most of us know the saying "talk a lot without saying much". Well, for me, that's sort of the opinion I have on the plot. There seems to be so many things going on but I feel that I couldn't grasp on anything properly, and I feel like I'm still not sure what the major themes are beside love and survival. I do agree on that the story is entertaining as its action filled and has a gripping storyline, but I just can't find that something that makes Through the Ever Night stand out from the rest of the millions of young adult books. The most fundamental emotion I'm feeling towards the first two books is nonchalance. I wish I didn't feel this way because I really wanted to love this series. One of my best friends absolutely adores Under the Never Sky and she (probably unintentionally) made me have really high expectations. And when those expectations weren't met in the precise way I imagined they would, I was a bit let down. 

Maybe this slight disappointment is because I haven't been able to connect with the characters, with the sole exception of Roar (who is just my favourite, I think he as a main love interest would have made me more into the story). All the major characters are likeable, but I think this is just one of those "it's me not you" things. I don't have very much to talk about the book, and that's probably a good sign of my opinion of the book. I rarely write this short reviews, but honestly, I just don't know what else I could talk about! The book was OK, but now that it has been a few days since I've finished it, I can't really member the events that well. Most of the time, I don't forget the events that easily. Nevertheless, I sincerely believe that those who enjoyed the first book will love the second instalment of the trilogy: it had action, romance, heartbreak, and twists that came out of nowhere!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

You can't see me, but I'm totally doing my happy dance as I read your comment!