Tuesday 8 April 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (#10): The most unique books I have read


Top Ten Tuesday this week is about 

❄ The most unique books I have read 


1. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. This book has one  of the most unique stories that I've read. It has everything in it from incest to butterflies, and it makes your head swirl after finishing. You just need to read One Hundred Years of Solitude to get what I mean. It's pretty special plot-wise.

2. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. The language, the nameless narrator, the commentary on materialism and individualism, the twists! Fight Club is one of those books that I'm afraid to review because I feel like I'm not doing them any justice.

3. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. The most special characters I've ever read about are in A Game of Thrones. First Martin makes you hate them, but slowly unravels something about them that makes those characters to become your favourite ones. True story. 

4. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. I was so impressed by the chimera/demon and angel setting, and how good and bad can be subtly intermingled. I remember I kept going over the whole concept for days after finishing the book - everything was so different about the chimeras compared to what I had encountered before.

5. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. (Top Ten Tuesday isn't Top Ten Tuesday for me if I don't add either TFIOS or John Green!) I often get teary while reading a touching novel, but I don't think I have ever cried so much as I have with TFIOS. And that's why I have listed The Fault in Our Stars - so heart breaking that I'm still afraid to pick it up and read it. 

6. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Death as a narrator? So awesome! I loved how Death came across as a person, not as an almighty higher power god - Death felt longing and sadness.

7. Unwind by Neal Shusterman. This book has one of the most twisted societies that I can recall reading about. So horrible. And so awesome. 

8. 1984 by George Orwell. WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

9. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. By far, the most unique portrayal of women. And not for the sole reason them being handmaids.

10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I'm going to add this right here, because it is the very first dystopian novel that I ever read. Since then, I have read many interesting dystopian books, but the world of The Hunger Games still keeps me intrigued and thirsty to know more. 


I see that my list this week is rather fantasy/dystopia orientated! Well, those are two of my favourite genres, so who could blame me? Do you see these novels as unique as I do? What did you have on your lists this week?


30 comments:

  1. I love that so many people list DoSaB! I love that book! Made my own list too!

    Unwind could have easily made my list too! Another series I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DoSaB has a well-deserved place on that list! It's pretty unique series. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I really loved your list! I can totally relate to the feeling of crying so much you're afraid to pick it up again- happened to me with Clockwork Princess. And I agree about the Hunger Games- no other dystopian novel or series has made me think and shocked me as much as that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I love and hate it that a book can make me cry more than a funeral of a distant relative (I hope that didn't come across to horrible). The Hunger Games definitely was a gateway book for me in that sense too.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Some of those made my list too. :) I had the same comment about The Book Thief "Death as a narrator? You can't get much more unique than that!" ;)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/04/top-ten-most-unique-books-ive-ever-read.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's great - our thoughts are synchronised! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. My list ended up being fantasy oriented as well! It's just part of how fantasy is often written in these totally new worlds, so it seems more unique than many contemporaries, I guess.

    I am right there with you for Daughter of Smoke and Bone - so new. I can't wait to read the new one soon! Unwind definitely wins my creepy as heck award - that one chapter in that book... you know the one I mean... stuff of nightmares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also read a lot more fantasy than contemporary, so I guess that might also explain why my list ended up being fantasy-oritentated. :)

      I totally know which chapter you're talking about! It has been years now since I read Unwind, but I still remember that scene.. So creepy, yet so powerful!

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. I never thought about how unique 1984 and Handmaid's Tale are but you're right, they totally belong on this list. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those two are some of my favourite dystopian novels, so I agree that they do belong to a list of unique books! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I am a huge Game of Thrones fan and I completely agree with what you said. Jamie Lannister is a perfect example. I hated his guts and now I adore him ♥
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking about Jaime as one of the examples! :D I think Sansa also belongs to that group - I love how she is transforming from this naive and innocent girl into a serious contender in the game of thrones. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Wow, great picks! I am reading The Hunger Games soon, TFIOS next and One Hundred Years Of Solitude! I loved your picks of The Book Thief, Daughter Of Smoke & Bone and 1984! All of those are such unique books!

    Thanks for checking out My Top Ten Picks!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy those as much as I did! :) All the books on that list have a special place in my heart. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I love the Book thief, the hunger games and The fault in our stars. All three is very great books, love them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them a lot as well. :) THG and TFIOS are two of my ultimate favourites ever. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. This is a great list. The Book Thief is a perfect choice. I really need to read Unwind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unwind is really special - I don't think I'll ever over the whole concept Shusterman had created. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  10. Terrific list -- and since the ones here that I've read are all books that I love (especially A Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, The Book Thief), I have a feeling I should check out the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you definitely should check them out! ;) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Great list! Love The Hunger Games, such an amazing series and I can't believe I forgot to put that on mine. I am even more shocked that I forgot Fight Club!!!! ='(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THG and Fight Club are both so amazing - just talking about them makes me want to reread them! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. I tried to read One Hundred Years of Solitude years ago... but didn't get very far. It wasn't that I thought it was bad; I think I was just bored with it.

    Daughter of Smoke & Bone is certainly unique! I really enjoyed that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha One Hundred Years of Solitude isn't for everyone, and I remember that I really took my time reading it from cover to cover as well. But in the end, it was just such a journey that I have never been able to forget it.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  13. Love seeing Daughter of Smoke and Bone on these lists!!! And while Game of Thrones isn't a favorite of mine, I do really appreciate the excellent writing and how Martin took the standard fantasy trope and mirrored after the War of Roses. Tempted to try Solitude... thanks for visiting my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DoSaB belongs to this list without no doubt. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Wow, Sofia, you added so many great ones that I'm kicking myself for not including! TFiOS should've been a mandatory for me because really, not many books make me cry (none, except for the 3rd reread of Mockingjay...) The Book Thief, oh my gosh, YES (not to the crying, but how amazing it was). I really should read the Fight Club sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of those are so great books. :) And please, try reading Fight Club! It's so amazing that there are no words for it!

      Delete
  15. I had 100 Years of Solitude on my list as well! It's such an intense, crazy book, it's really an experience reading it. I loved the Book Thief, definitely one of the most unique narrators ever. Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Daughter of Smoke and Bone would be on my list, too!

    p.s Now following your blog via GFC :)

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete

You can't see me, but I'm totally doing my happy dance as I read your comment!