Thursday 15 May 2014

Storm (Elemental #1) by Brigid Kemmer


Description from Goodreads:

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake.

Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys; all the ones she doesn't want. When she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot, everything is about to change. Chris is different from the guys at school... really different. He can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. The brothers are powerful and dangerous. And now that Becca knows the truth, so is she.

When the mysterious new kid, Hunter, turns up, Becca thinks she can trust him. But when he goes head-to-head with Chris, Becca's left wondering who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.


I have to admit something. I've been wanting to read Storm for ages now, but I never actually ended up buying it for one reason: the first edition's cover was a bit tacky. I have to be really intrigued by the blurb if I'm going to buy a book with a cover which makes me just cringe. But then my luck turned when I saw that Storm was requestable on NetGalley and hit that button with a speed of light - finally I could read it! And I don't regret requesting Storm for a second. 

I know that the setting will be to the liking of many girls: a reverse harem. There are the Merrick brothers, Hunter, and also the bullies of Becca and the enemies Merrick Four, so there is a lot of testosterone going around. In fact, there were very little female characters which can be either a good thing or bad thing, depending on who you are asking. I fall somewhere in the middle of that scale as I really liked the different personalities of the brothers (and also how their personality traits reflected their elements) and how they went pickering on. The Merricks didn't form a big happy family, but more of a dysfunctional and untrusting group of young men. Their conversations were always full of fire (no pun intended) and anger which never made their interactions boring.

I was quite surprised how much romance there was included in the book. And even though I don't usually go for the most epic romantic love stories in the world, I really ended up enjoying the relationship dynamics. I have to warn though, that there is a strong element of love triangle going on. Both Chris and Hunter are courting Becca that admittedly creates some delicious scenes that I clung onto while reading. While Chris might have been better pick me appearance-wise, I really liked Hunter and how he was with Becca (Hunter is one dreamy guy, let me tell you). They had great chemistry and I always seemed to be giggling when they flirted or the moment got a bit heated. 

The whole story kept me intrigued from first page to the last page, even though I did find the story line a bit predictable from time to time. It didn't however lessen my enjoyment while reading. I liked the action packed events as well as the more romantic scenes which still make my heart flutter when I think about them. The only disappointment for me was the ending which was a bit anticlimactic. Despite the fact that I could see what was coming from a mile away, the ending didn't meet my expectations at all. It was a satisfactory ending, but it didn't really make any kind of impression me - the book just kind of ended. 

The description of the book says that "Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys; all the ones she doesn't want." Spoiler: It's pretty obvious that this is referring to the fact that she has been sexually harassed, and some guy has spread stupid rumours about her. Even though this happens in real life as well, I couldn't help but feeling that the author had somehow romanticised this whole situation, which I didn't approve at all. Even though the portrayal of Becca's trauma is believable, I felt like the author used it as a means to make Becca become highlighted for the love interest, and also to show how she need a guy in order to be rescued from her distress. It is almost like Becca couldn't survive it if it wasn't for a male counterpart, and my inner feminist didn't really like that. I'm not explaining myself really well, but I hope you get the gist. 

But in general, I liked Storm. I wished there had been a bit more supernatural element to the story, as majority of the story was dedicated to the relationships. But then again, the relationships were really interesting to observe. I read the second book's blurb and I found  out that all the books concentrate on a different guy which interesting and a bit worrying at same time. I will most definitely read the next books as Storm was entertaining and fun to read, even with its flaws. Actual rating 3.5




No comments:

Post a Comment

You can't see me, but I'm totally doing my happy dance as I read your comment!